ADA 25th Anniversary Captures Media Attention
It’s a busy week ahead as we gear up for the 25th Anniversary celebration of the ADA. Susie Jones of WCCO 830 will interview MSCOD Executive Director Joan Willshire this week (air-date / time to be announced). On Wednesday, July 22 at 11:00 A.M. Joan, Accessibility Specialist Margot Imdieke Cross, and tpt documentary producer Steve Spencer will join host Tom Weber on MPR for a panel discussion and call-in program. On Friday, July 24 at 7:00 P.M., Margot will be featured on tpt’s Almanac, and on Sunday, July 26 at 10:15, Joan will join the morning show on Fox 9.
We encourage you to tune in. If you miss any of the programs, we’ll have links to each on our Facebook page.
And, if you haven’t seen the recent article in Access Press, you’ll find it here.
Join Us This Sunday!
The Minnesota State Council on Disability (MSCOD) would like to cordially invite you to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the signing of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
On Sunday, July 26th, from 12 noon until 4:00 pm, The Disability Community, MSCOD, and our partners invite you to the 25th Anniversary of the ADA Celebration and Family Day at the Minnesota History Center in St. Paul. Everyone is invited to the party and admission is FREE!
The Family Day includes:
- Live entertainment (dance, magic, and all kinds of music)
- An open mic for people to tell their story
- Interactive arts activities
- Light refreshments served
- BBQ lunch available for purchase
- Reasonable accommodations provided
- FREE parking and shuttle service. Shuttles will run from 9:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
- tpt’s upcoming documentary, The ADA at 25: Disability Rights in MN, will be premiered.
Our event website has lots of information and some fun things, too. Check out our ADA Anniversary video essay by tpt’s David Gillette. POSTERS! Our commemorative posters are a great way to spruce up your office and celebrate with the disability community. This celebration will be fun for the whole family. We invite you to join us for this fun filled day!
- The Bloomington Human Rights Commission is hosting a celebration for the 25th Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) on July 23, 2015 at 6:00 P.M.
- To honor the 25th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Minneapolis is hosting a celebration on Thursday, July 23 from noon – 3:00 P.M. in the Minneapolis City Hall Rotunda. The event will feature speakers, recognition, performers and interactive programming. More information can be found on the Minneapolis website.
- See the infographic showing milestones of accessibility and technology in Minnesota, created by MN.IT Services. Disability and Employment in Minnesota (PDF). Disability and Employment in Minnesota (PDF).
About the ADA 25th Anniversary Legacy Project
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) turns 25 years old on July 26, 2015. The Minnesota State Council on Disability (MSCOD) is planning a number of activities leading up to and marking this historic day.
The MSCOD ADA 25 year Anniversary Legacy Project seeks to preserve and raise awareness of Minnesota’s role in the development of the ADA as well as celebrate Minnesota’s disability cultures in tandem with the 25 year anniversary of the passage of the ADA.
MSCOD’s Legacy Funds are administered by the Minnesota Humanities Center.
The Minnesota Historical and Cultural Grants Program has been made possible by the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through the vote of Minnesotans on November 4, 2008. Administered by the Minnesota Historical Society.