Date: Thursday, January 13th, 2022
Time: 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm
Legislative Forum Program
Program subject to change.
- Welcome from MCD Council Chair and Executive Director
- Opening remarks from Governor Tim Walz and Lt. Governor Peggy Flanagan
- MCD Legislative Agenda by MCD Public Policy Director
- Remarks from Speaker of the House Melissa Hortman
- Legislative Panel: House of Representatives
- Remarks from Senate Majority Leader Jeremy Miller
- Legislative Panel: Senate
- Public Comment
On Thursday, January 13th the Minnesota Council on Disability (MCD) hosted our annual Legislative Forum with remarks from several state leaders, including Governor Tim Walz and Lt. Governor Peggy Flanagan. The theme of this year’s forum was “Capacity Building” and increasing disability representation in government. The event featured two bi-partisan legislative panels and a public comment section.
About the Legislative Forum
Public policy plays a significant role in all our lives, but people with disabilities are more often directly affected – and negatively affected -by policy decisions. Will a new policy:
- Limit their ability to get around the community?
- Limit their opportunities for employment?
- Limit their options for home care support?
Uninformed policy often has unintended consequences.
The 2022 Virtual Legislative Forum is an opportunity for MCD to present our priorities for the next legislative session. We’ve invited legislators to share with the community how they plan to promote these agenda items. Review our 2022 Public Policy Agenda (PDF) before attending the event.